Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Quotes

The girls have been watching old school Scooby Doo shows (thanks for the DVD, K+C!) during their TV time after school. During one episode about a spooky fortune teller:

Birdie: "Mommy, there is a boy named Crystal Ball in my class."

Me: "Really?! Are you trying to trick me?"

Birdie: "No! I'm serious! But he pronounces it 'Chris-toh-bol'."

Sure enough when I checked the class roster, there is a "Cristóbal". :)

---

Birdie: "Mommy, do you know how to say "burning" in Spanish?"

Me: "No."

Birdie: "Quema."

Then...

Birdie: "Mommy, maybe you should go to Special Spanish with me."

---

Our friend Kristen was visiting. Kristen is taking Spanish classes at a local college, the first time she's studying this language.

Kristen (looking at Birdie's Spanish homework): "You're probably learning a lot, huh? Like I bet you know what "tarea" means."

Birdie: "It means homework. And you pronounce it tah-reh-a." (Kristen's American accent was apparently lacking by Birdie's standards.)

---

I got so, so terribly lost yesterday while driving home from the school with all three kids. Yes, while driving home from a place I go to ALL. THE. TIME. What can I say? I spaced for a second and suddenly found myself on an UNESCAPABLE Mexican highway! Oh it was terrible. And stressful. Birdie kept whining from the back, saying things like, "I wish we weren't with you right now, Mommy!!" Gee, thanks! N thankfully was home and was able to locate us through our combined calculating (I had the Gudalajara street map with me, which was a blessing since our powerless GPS (malfunctioning chord will not allow charging) was useless), and walk me through the streets over my cell. When we finally got home:

N: "Hey, at least this wasn't Mexico's fault. I mean, you do that kind of thing all the time in the States too."

Ah, the sweet, sympathetic words of spousal support.

5 comments:

  1. Ellen corrects my Chinese accent, too. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick and family-

    Love this blog. If you'd like to see what it's like to live in China with kids, check out my friend Anna's at http://annecdotes-china.blogspot.com/. Thanks so much for doing this. It's fascinating to learn about living in another country through the people doing it!

    Liz Ofstad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! So funny. Glad you made it home! Let us know how the storm goes - I hope you just get rain too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are all awesome. well, not the stress of getting lost, but it makes a good story...

    ReplyDelete