Monday, December 19, 2011

Dinner Options

Our first week here we heard about the man who sells tamales outside the Oxxo (Mexico's 7-11) down the street. He shows up a little after 6 with his silver pot of tamales and sells them until they're gone. I never think about him, though, because I'm often home before he gets there, or I just don't notice him. I saw him tonight on my way to buy dinner at Pechugon, the rotisserie chicken/yummy spicy potatoes joint. After purchasing a whole chicken/potatoes/rice combo (108 pesos), I decided to stop for some tamales. Tamale Pot Guy turned out to be a woman (the guy's wife, maybe?) The tamales, which come in several varieties, are 9 pesos each. I got two of the green sauce kind for Narra and I to try.

We just finished eating all of the aforementioned vittles, and I was inspired to come in here and write an ode to dinner options in Mexico, which are varied, tasty, and exquisitely inexpensive. At current exchange rates, tonight's meal cost about 9 bucks. The tamales were dellllicious. I predict we'll begin visiting tamale pot lady about once per week.

If I were a dedicated blogger, this post would feature a picture of the tamale vendor. To my own dismay, and as you may have noticed, I am not such a blogger. Fortunately, I married well.

Until next time. Which at current blogging rates will be sometime in mid-April.

1 comment: